Joyful Praises is a site that is devoted to real Christians with real lives. It is a place to share our trials,triumphs, prayers and praises. Come here to be uplifted, encouraged, and challenged in your walk with Christ.

Be Prepared

When I got up this morning, the song “Be Prepared” from the Lion King was running through my head. Scar is speaking to his horde of hyenas as he gets ready to take over the Pridelands. He speaks of a hostile takeover and a new era with new rules and a new king. As I read the lyrics, I can’t help but get an eerie feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something tells me those words are a bit prophetic. In less than three months there have been three massive earthquakes. Just this morning I read about a deadly landslide in Uganda. Death and destruction has been rampant like the world has never seen. According to the Associated Press, the Chilean earthquake may have tipped the earth off its axis causing a shortening of our days by 1.26 microseconds. If the shaking continues, isn’t it possible that our days might also continue to shrink?

Naturally, living in California I’m inclined to wonder when it will be our turn. When is the big one going to hit my area and will I be ready? I was 11 years old when the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake so rudely interrupted my life. Although I can still remember it as clear as if it happened yesterday, disaster preparedness is sort of like flossing my teeth. I know it’s something I should do because it’s important but I don’t make it a priority. “Everything is fine now, why should I stress about something that may or may not happen down the road?” “I don’t have time right now. I’ll get to it later”. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m thinking it might be time to start flossing and I’m not just saying that because I saw the dentist yesterday.

The Bible warns us of the signs. “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places”…”And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold but he who endures to the end will be saved.” (Matthew 24:7-13)

Scar is quite right indeed. It is time to get prepared. The Bible warns us of a new “king” that is going to be charming, deceptive, and downright evil. Hitler has nothing on this guy. Just like Scar, he’s going to climb his way to the top and create his empire using any means necessary. The questions keep running over in my mind like a pre-wedding check list. Is my heart clean from anger and resentment? Is there anyone that I need to make amends with? Have I made every effort to be loving and kind to those that need it most? Am I using my gifts the way God intended me to? Have I fully accepted His gift of grace and salvation today? Am I ready and prepared? Are you?

Be Prepared lyrics
Music by Elton John, lyrics by Tim Rice
Performed by Jeremy Irons, Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, and Jim Cummings

It's clear from your vacant expressions
The lights are not all on upstairs
But we're talking kings and successions
Even you can't be caught unawares

So prepare for a chance of a lifetime
Be prepared for sensational news
A shining new era
Is tiptoeing nearer
And where do we feature?
Just listen to teacher

I know it sounds sordid
But you'll be rewarded
When at last I am given my dues
And injustice deliciously squared
Be prepared!

It's great that we'll soon be connected
With a king who'll be all-time adored

Of course, quid pro quo, you're expected
To take certain duties on board
The future is littered with prizes
And though I'm the main addressee
The point that I must emphasize is
You won't get a sniff without me!

So prepare for the coup of the century
(Oooh!)
Be prepared for the murkiest scam
(Oooh... La! La! La!)
Meticulous planning
(We'll have food!)
Tenacity spanning
(Lots of food)
Decades of denial
(We repeat)
Is simply why I'll
(Endless meat)
Be king undisputed
(Aaaaaaah...)
Respected, saluted
(...aaaaaaah...)
And seen for the wonder I am
(...aaaaaaah!)
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared
(Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo)
Be prepared!

Yes, our teeth and ambitions are bared -
Be prepared!

2 comments:

Aslan is definitely on the move, Sherry.

Excellent post. I don't ever remember hearing of so much destruction in such a short space of time. I wonder how many of us have let our lamps go out.