Joyful Praises is a site that is devoted to real Christians with real lives. It is a place to share our trials,triumphs, prayers and praises. Come here to be uplifted, encouraged, and challenged in your walk with Christ.

Stuck in the Twilight Zone!

I have to say that as far as weird weeks go, this one tops any that I’ve ever had by far. I feel like I’ve stepped into a Twilight Zone marathon and I’m the main character. What the heck is going on? It started with the beginning of the week. I read an article that talked about people who photograph their food before eating it. Does this really happen? Apparently this is a huge trend that I knew nothing about until now. It turns out that countless individuals have made a lifestyle out of snapping pictures of their main dish before they even take out their fork. Why? The reasons vary. Some do it as a means of controlling their weight which I find very clever. If I’m on a mission to lose 50 pounds and I happen to glance at a picture of the Jumbo Jack and fries I ate yesterday, there’s a good chance that I might reach for a carrot instead of a cookie next time. Others do it for social interaction. Meh, ok I guess. If a guy can’t meet women the normal way, I guess there’s worse things that trying to meet them through Flikr. What fascinates me, though are the ones who choose to photograph their food because it’s a hobby. I read about a guy who literally left his wife at the restaurant for an hour because he didn’t have the right lens for his camera and needed to go get it. Is it just me or does that border on obsession? Weird! Or is it? Do you take pictures of your food and why would you do such thing? Food is food, people! It’s meant to be eaten, not digitally documented and posted on social networks for the whole world to see how obsessive we can be. Is it narcissism on overload or just another way to meet people and appreciate the wonder of a good Chicken Marsala?

Let’s see, other weird happenings this week…there’s the estrogen pills in the baby bag I mentioned in my previous blog post, the wedding engagement of someone I never suspected in a million years, and finally, the one that I may never recover from. A person that has been nothing less than obvious in her hatred toward me during the last 8 or 9 years has suddenly come out and asked to reconnect with me. Other minor incidents that I really can’t mention here have also intertwined with everything else this week causing me to shake my head in wonder. A friend asked me, “Was your week weird in a good way or in a bad way?” Honestly, I’m leaning toward all of the above. I’ve cried, I’ve laughed, I’ve shaken my fist in anger, and I’ve stood utterly bewildered. I can’t explain why the home loan mod guys can’t get their act together and just cooperate with my husband. I can’t fathom why someone who has very obviously chosen to be my enemy would suddenly want to talk to me again. I certainly cannot begin to understand the fascination and obsession people have with photographing food. (Maybe someone can help me out with this one?) Above all, I can’t explain the peace that washes over me every time I think about the complexities of life and all the little things that don’t make sense. I know someone who has all the answers. For some unexplainable reason, that’s enough for me. Weird, huh?

4 comments:

I love this post, Sherry! Sometimes you do look at life and people and wonder at the craziness of it all! We're Alice in Wonderland but can't find our way out of the rabbit hole! LOL Thank goodness for the love and grace of God. If we didn't have that steadfastness, it would be easy to just retreat to a "safe" place in your mind and never come out again. The love of God and good friends make traversing this earthly path a lot easier! (I've not, however, heard about the "food" photography. I'm still trying to adjust to people who want to do EVERYTHING in their bathroom, including cook! OMG! These must be the people who take pictures of their food! ROFL)And if anyone has a nice, large bathroom that's great! I love a big bathroom! But do we really need coffeemakers and hot plates in there? Somehow this just doesn't seem sanitary!

Sounds like quite a week, my friend. And taking photos of food?! I haven't heard of that one before, but if they cooked the food, I can understand it. For some cooking is a form of art, so I guess they love to immortalize their art on film and share it with others.

As to old acquaintances, well, people do change over time. Hearts can soften, so hopefully that is one of these situations.

Thank you for commenting on my post. I hope you wont be sitting on that chair never again...
About people taking photographs of their food before eating them...I better not tell what I think!!!
“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

Great post. Thanks for sharing Sherry. Blessings.